Bike Registration Problems


In order to get my bike licensed for the road I need something from Yamaha that says it can take lights. I have installed the original Yamaha lights and brakes but I need a copy the paperwork from Yamaha, a bulletin or something. Know where I can get it? Thanks. {Richard, WA 1979 Yamaha 175cc MFX [GTMFX]}


I have checked the microfiche cards for the 1979 GT175MFX. They do not contain or reference technical bulletins pertaining to adding lights to make them street legal. Similarly, I did not find any reference to this situation in the Factory Modification Campaign notices.

I assume that the problem lies in that the Washington Department of Licensing enters the VIN and it comes up as a dirtbike without proper lighting for street use. You have made the necessary changes, but the DOL computers will not let the registration (or license) be issued.

WA DOL website has information about re-titling salvage vehicles after they have been fixed. They probably have a similar process for custom built, homemade and modified vehicles.

This should be the first method you investigate. You probably will need a notarized statement from a Yamaha dealer stating that this bike is suitable for modification and will function safely and properly now that it has been modified as part of your documentation. This process can either issue a new “street legal” VIN or enable the existing VIN to be used.


New Jersey and Pennsylvania have repair or reconstruction processes in which you must produce before and after photographs, receipts for all modifications and replacement parts, as well as the original title, and submit the vehicle for an inspection, either by the State Police or a licensed Motorcycle Inspection Facility, in order to be able to get a new or reconstructed vehicle title. WA probably has a similar process.

{Yes, NJ has a self-inspection program for motorcycles. This is not the same inspection we are talking about here.}


A second route you can pursue is having the bike re-titled through title agencies that specialize in vehicles with lost titles. The have policies that enable you to re-title and register vehicles that are over 10 years old using a bill of sale by mail. You fill out the forms, send in the required documentation and fees and receive a new registration and license plates and possibly a new bike registration. I do not know if this will work for your situation, but it can't hurt to investigate.

I have included links to a few companies that specialize in this re-titling process below. Over the years we have known a few customers that have utilized services from these types of companies and they seemed very pleased with the ease and simplicity of the process.


Please be aware that different states have different documentation requirements. For instance PA requires that signatures on motor vehicle titles be notarized. Don't think that because the NY title you got with the bike doesn't require notarization that you don't need it. PA will require a notarized Bill of Sale signed by the seller in addition to the title.

Make sure you read and understand all of the documentation and paperwork requirements before you start filling in your official documents. It can be a supreme hassle to have to go back to the chick you bought the bike from through Craigslist a year later & ask her to do you a favor and get a duplicate title or registration because you filled it out incorrectly. You can also find a lot of information on The Unofficial DMV Guide.

While both methods will probably work, the second will likely be less aggravating and faster. Good Luck!

WARNING: State laws that pertain to titling and registration of motorcycles can change at any time. Please check with your individual state to ensure you aren't doing a lot of extra paper work that is not necessary.

Need more free ATV or motorcycle repair information?

Q&A:  Leaking Fuel Valve?
Q&A:  Leaking Gas Valve flooding engine?
Q&A:  Battery Maintenance
Q&A:  Battery Types
Q&A:  Carb Jetting page 1
Q&A:  Carb Jetting page 2
Q&A:  Aftermarket Exhaust System
Q&A:  Carb Float Needle
Q&A:  Carburetor Identification

Q&A:  Honda Points
Q&A:  Rim Bolt Pattern
Q&A:  CB750F Identification
Q&A: Broken Speedometer Cable End
Q&A: Suzuki LT-Z400 QuadSport Tank Removal
Q&A: Motorcycle Trike Conversion
Q&A: Honda Rancher Reverse Problem
Q&A: Kawasaki Z650SR Fuel Mix problem
Q&A: RM80 Piston Position

Q&A: LT80 Engine Oil Issues
Q&A: Clutch Cable Break In period?
Q&A: Cooling Fan Problem?
Q&A: 1983 XV920 Virago Oil Change
Q&A: ATC90 Spark Plug question
Q&A: Nighthawk 750 Spark Plug Gap
Q&A: Bike Registration Problem
Q&A: Lost Hypercharger Instructions
Q&A: Bourget Charging System

Q&A: Can Spark Plugs be cleaned?
Q&A: Wheel Bearing Removal for 1976 CB750K
Q&A: 1982 YZ490 Kick Start
Q&A: 1979 GL1000 Goldwing Points Gap
Q&A: 1982 GS650GLZ Cable Routing Problem
Q&A:  Ether vs. Carb Clean
Q&A:  ATV Ignition Trouble
Q&A:  John Deere backfiring
Q&A:  Honda Phantom 200 Tire Pressure

Q&A:  TRX350 Clutch Slip possible causes
Q&A:  LTF250 Cam Chain Installation & Timing Marks
Q&A:  Demon X pit bike clutch trouble
Q&A:  OK to Increase Tire Size?
Q&A:  RV125 Lost Keys
Q&A:   1981 GPZ550 flywheel cover
Q&A:   2000 Yamaha Badger : Hard to start
Q&A:   1975 CB360T Replacement Tire
Q&A:   Vintage CB750 Chain Size

Q&A:  LTA500F Vinson Leaky Fuel Petcock
Q&A:  TRX350 Rancher Hard Shifting
Q&A:  Replacement Rectifier
Q&A:  GS500F Turn Signals
Q&A:  Suzuki Quad Poor Idle
Q&A:  Yamaha Wolverine cracked Carb top
Q&A:  Vulcan Classic VN1600 Cold Start issues

Sale Banner at Adventure

Consolidated Motor Spares

Become a fan of Weeks Motorcycle on Facebook. Get the latest site updates, enter great contests, participate in polls and more!

Ever Wonder What is the Matter with People?

See some Fun Stuff

Weeks Motorcycle Salvage eBay Store

Weeks Motorcycle Home

Website upgrade in progress

Ask a Repair Question

Search Our Site
Custom Search


Vote for our site on Webbie World!

Weeks Cycle Salvage
eBay Store

Show Off Your Machine!

Show Off Your Machine

Weeks Gear
coming soon!

Sale Banner at Adventure

Discount OEM Parts

Classified Listings

Review on

Site Build It Affiliate Program